The Artist (film)

Old Salt | 23:01 Fri 06th Jan 2012 | Film
Mrs OS wants me to take her to see the film, "The Artist". She keeps trying to convince me that it is a silent film. Well, I've seen, plenty of silent films when I was a kid, and although they were silent, there was a lot of sound from the orchestra pit or an organ or a piano.

I took her to see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, and the sound was deafening. For the past twenty years I have had tinnitus, which I could keep under control for long periods of time.

When we came out, I could hardly hear and the tinnitus was overpowering. After a few weeks it eased some, but it is still far worse that before I went to the cinema.

Before I thrown a refusal, I would like to hear from anyone who has seen the film, and their comment on the sound (if any)

Thank your for any feedback

Old Salt

Answers

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by Old Salt. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

I haven't seen it yet but there is a full orchestral soundtrack so it would depend on how loud your local cinema turns the sound up - this IMDB forum discusses the possibility of it getting an oscar nomination http://www.imdb.com/t...board/nest/193104060.
It's brilliant, i haven't seen a film that i loved as much for years. Everything
works, the acting is first class, the storyline sublime, funny, poignant, classy and just has the best acting dog on the planet. I could go on but go see, i have twice and though part as a way of getting myself out of this awful funk i've been in, it was a delight from start to finish
it is the actors who are silent for most of the film, and the soundtrack isn't intrusive, it's the film of the decade for me.
I almost never go to the cinema as I can't hear the dialogue well enough (90% of it is okay but I'm always worried the 10% will be the important stuff); I buy the DVDs and switch on the subtitles instead. I do hope to see The Artist, though. Why not go see it and take earplugs?
jno pointless going if you plug up your ears, the music is integral to the film, without it you wouldn't grasp what's going on. The same for the real silent films, they all had music, be it the lady in the orchestra pit pinging away on the piano, but i do urge anyone who loves film, silent, talking or otherwise to see it. If they don't get oscars for best film, soundtrack, actors, then i will eat my hat..
Thanks everyone for your useful responses. I'm still not convinced that the 'silent film' is going to be within my tolerance zone.

If I get 'dragooned' into going, I will take some heavy-duty ear plugs, and emphatically explain to Mrs OS, "At the first sign of discomfort, I'm leaving and will wait for you outside." There will be no discussion, I shall simply get-up-and-go.

I still have a great deal of extra discomfort caused by the increased noise level of my tinnitus, since the Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy film.

I'm very grateful to all of you for your ideas and advice.

Old Salt

The Artist (film)