Honey going solid

Avatar Image
pawcards | 14:46 Wed 23rd Sep 2009 | Food
4 Answers
How do I stop, if I can, runny honey from solidifying? If I warm up the whole jar will it make it worse?

Thanks in advance



1 to 4 of 4rss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by pawcards. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
There's only one way to keep the honey from crystallizing and that's by freezing it... which is OK, but makes for difficult serving. All honey will crystallize over a period of time. Depends on the nectar source as well as the storage temeprature. Don't, I repeat, don't store it in the refrigerator. Keep it in a relatively warm, dark cupboard.
If it has crystallized, just warm it in the microwave or in a pan of warmed water (remove the lid). It only needs to reach a temeprature of about 95 to 100 degrees (F) for it to re-liquidify. Won't hurt the quality... Sometimes, whole honey... that is honey still in the comb will last longer as far as crystallization is concerned. Again, it's just not as servable. You really can't hurt honey. It's natural fructose content will make it keep for almost ever. Honey has been found in ancient Egyptian tombs (3,300 years old) that would still liquefy if warmed. (Don't think I'd be the volunteer to taste it though). Honey is the only product produced by insects that's edible for humans...
Your last sentence is not strictly true Clanad. Shellac produced by the Lac Beetle is also edible and used as a glaze on tablets and some confectionary products.
That's remarkable, mortartube... (Here's me thinking where are the other trivia collectors). One site says "...Shellac has the distinction of being the only known commercial resin of animal origin. It is produced by a tiny red insect (Laccifer lacca) which, in its larval stage, is about the size of an apple seed. Swarms of the insects feed on certain host trees, commonly called "lac trees," in India and Thailand, the main lac-producing countries."
And... "Non-toxic/hypoallergenic – The U.S. Food & Drug Administration has certified shellac as a protective glaze for candy and pharmaceuticals."
My pleasure Clanad. I must admit that I only know about the properties and uses of shellac as I used to make fireworks for a living, and it is used as a fuel and binder in some firework mixes, as well as a shellac varnish to waterproof some firework cases. I will stop boring you now otherwise I will sound like the bloke at the party that you just can't get away from, no matter how you try. Lol.

1 to 4 of 4rss feed

Do you know the answer?

Honey going solid

Answer Question >>

Related Questions

Sorry, we can't find any related questions. Try using the search bar at the top of the page to search for some keywords, or choose a topic and submit your own question.