set top digi-box

Coldicote | 18:49 Mon 20th Feb 2012 | Electronics
I have a small basic set top-box on a TV in my bedroom, ready for the digital change over. It has its own 3-pin plug into a socket on the wall. I sometimes like to watch TV in bed and can switch the TV on and off at my bedside, but cannot do likewise for the set top box. Is it necessary to switch the digi-box off at night or can it safely be left on in stand-by mode? Thanks for advice.

Answers

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by Coldicote. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

Its actually recommended that you leave set top boxes on standby as they can occasionally download an software update during the night.
Interesting thank you. I hadn't heard of that before and thought that only computers downloaded updates.
If you really want to switch off get one of these

http://www.amazon.co....ket-Set/dp/B000H9HU70
Thank you Howard, I'd never seen anything like that before and will explore it further. My main concern is about SAFETY of leaving the set top box 'live' through the night, even though on stand-by. I wasn't aware of the recommendation Richard refers to. Does anyone else have safety concerns?
I leave the virgin box on during the night and its been fine,

set top digi-box