neighbour claiming land that isnt theirs?

dmj | 19:33 Wed 08th Jul 2009 | Environment
Hi

I live in a cul de sac where unfortunately, one of the neightbours is the most cantankerous old sods I've ever met! There is a lane that passes past his house which I think may be public land but he has constructed crappy fencing and gates and written private on it, even if one of the kids kicks the ball over the gate he comes running out and says " ur not allowed in here" its pathetic, I have put up with this for 6 years but now this neighbour is really peeing me off, how can I find out if the land is public without having to pay hundreds of pounds to get the documents from the land registry ( which is why I dont think any other neighbour has taken it any further over the years)

He also has a "driveway" on the road which he's made with bricks???? if you park near there he goes potty, again I think its part of the road and he's off his rocker!! I am fed up with arguing with him and would like this sorted out once and for all, any advice on what to do would be great, thanks :)

Answers

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by dmj. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

Try contactng the council about it, they should know if it is public land or not. I dont know if they still do it but they used to have "foot path walkers" volunteers who walked the public footpaths & bridleways making sure they weren't obstructed etc, as it is was considered quite a serious offence not to keep rights of way clear
Hello there dmj,
I tried to post you an aswer last night,but as usual AB was not having it,so I will try again tonight!
According to the Land Registry website,here:~
http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/www/wps/portal/ !ut/p/c1/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gfN1MTQ wt381BD_2A3A08LT2cL49AwIwMDY6B8JB55Q2J0G-AAjgY EdIeDXIvfdpA8HvP9PPJzU_ULckMjDLJMFAF9iqN5/dl2/ d1/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnB3LzZfTEY1NDE4RzdVMU9TRjB JOElDODNVVjIwRzI!

You can request (for the reasonable sum of �4.00 per item)
the following:~
a title plan defining the property
a title register where you can find out who owns the house or land, price paid/value stated information if sold since April 2000 and any rights of way or restrictions on the land noted on the register
You can download the above online,so no need to wait for the postman even.
Whilst this will not prove who owns the lane,it may prove if the neighbour does or does not?
After doing this,if you wish,I would post again on the Law category on AB where someone may be able to tell you how to proceed further.
There is a great ABe'r called "buildersmate" who is a whizz at this ort of thing and they may be able to sort it out for you.
Good Luck.
As said, thew Land Registry is the answer. Also, your solicitor may have kept copies of the Office Copies of your Title from when you bought the house. This would detail any adjacent Rights of Way. If the Land is unregistered then your neighbour may be attempting to claim Possesory Title. If you really want to pee on his corn flakes you should visit your local Land Registry Office (Cheaper than doing it online but less convenient) and obtain Office Copies of his Title and Plan. This not only details the extent of his land and rights but also provides details of his Mortage Company so that you can serve Notice on them too if it appears that he is infringing your rights.
Send an email to local council & highways, pointing out the problem. They will investigate & email you back; confidentially.

And take any action necessary.