Changing Child’S Surname

Avatar Image
BigRooster | 19:13 Fri 01st Feb 2019 | Law
11 Answers
My son and his ex have a daughter his ex has announced that she is getting married and is considering changing her daughters surname my son asked me can his ex do this with out his consent ?


1 to 11 of 11rss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by BigRooster. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
How old is the daughter?
//A mother, or father, cannot change a child's surname by herself or himself unless she or he is the only person with parental responsibility. Even then if the other parent objects a Court Order should be made. Any child who has sufficient legal understanding may apply in their own right for the Court's permission to change their name.//


Enrol your child’s new name
You’ll need either:
the agreement of everyone with parental responsibility
a court order
You must try to reach agreement before you seek a court order.
The age of the daughter is relevant in that she might be old enough to choose for herself.
It is relevant Tilly. you're right and stated on both links - hopefully all concerned can agree.
Question Author
Thanks everyone she is 11 coming on 21 if you no what a mean .
Well, she should certainly be involved in the discussions - they owe her that much.
if she is 11 going on 21 - she is certainly old enough to consent to this ( or not)

remember any court case is decided on the childs interests are paramount
Yes PP is correct. The Child's best interest overrides everything else !
We all agreed on this one.
the child's best interest may not be the thing the child wants, though.

1 to 11 of 11rss feed

Do you know the answer?

Changing Child’S Surname

Answer Question >>