Alarming Fall In Insect Numbers

Chipchopper | 17:35 Mon 11th Feb 2019 | Environment
I feel sure that the use in pesticides has a lot to do with it.
I find this worrying, what are you're views and how can we address it ?

Answers

When the insects die then the next species to go will be the birds and animals that feed on them .The plants that depend on bees,butterflies for pollination will die off. Then upwards and onwards ,species will gradually die as nature takes her toll. Seas are heating up far quicker than was first thought and some fish are dying because of the temperature rise....
19:12 Mon 11th Feb 2019
Pesticides have been used for ages. One needs to pinpoint exactly when the trend started downwards in earnest and what had changed at that point. I suspect the issue is overblown though. When one creature has problems another usually moves into their vacated niche.
have you got a link? which insect numbers are falling?
It's depressing isn't it?
What a mess this world seems to be in.
So depressing Tilly. The more we breed the worse it will get as we need to grow more food.
When the insects die then the next species to go will be the birds and animals that feed on them .The plants that depend on bees,butterflies for pollination will die off. Then upwards and onwards ,species will gradually die as nature takes her toll. Seas are heating up far quicker than was first thought and some fish are dying because of the temperature rise. Melting ice flows are sending polar bears to hunt further afield for food. Droughts, fires, floods are destroying essential food supplies for animals not to mention the thousands of animals killed in these natural disasters. No food means starvation and breeding is affected. Then they die off and will become extinct. Nature can be cruel . Then there the humans . Man is responsible for pesticides, plastics, exhaust fumes and probably a thousand other harmful things. We have to wake up and do something now before it's too late.Maybe the pupils walking out in protest of Climate change have a valid point.After all it's their future that will be mostly affected.
The suggestion is that 41% of insect species are declining or threatened, and some 10% of known species are already extinct (or near as dammit). This is not encouraging: whilst one can hope that other species step in to fill the gaps, since the primary cause of these extinctions is human activity, in one form or another, then they too may well end up threatened in turn.

And, yes, if it does end up going further and further then there's a risk of a nasty chain reaction.
I try to do my bit by never using pesticides or weedkiller in my own little bit of earth. My garden is wildlife and insect friendly but then I do have a garden and not a piece of concrete/block paved car park.
I feel that eventually nature will find a way of redressing a balance on this good earth. Unfortunately for humanity it will probably involve the near total extinction of our species. We have chosen stupidly a selfish path, upon our and our descendants heads be it.
This week alone approx.20,000 guillemots have died of starvation off the Dutch coast. Thousands of headless fish have washed up in Germany. Several polar bears have invaded a Russian village looking for food and thousands of cattle and livestock have drowned in the floods in Australia. It's just horrible!
Thank you all for your replies and links, its frightening stuff and on a global scale.
You know what, I can't even remember a single bug hitting my windscreen. A few years ago you would expect it after a drive through the countryside.
Anyone who has a garden however small can help by making it more wildlife friendly. Plant trees for the birds, have a patch of nettles for the butterflies, have a bird table and regularly feed the small birds.Have a lawn so the birds like blackbirds can get the worms. It all helps!
You've hit the nail right on the head georgesmum!
A lot of people doing their bit can all add up and make a differance!

I'm starting by adding some new bird and bug boxes, but farmers should set aside areas for wildlife too.
Interesting thread Cc. Thank you for the BA.

Alarming Fall In Insect Numbers