News0 min ago
Are Social Networking Websites Safe?
With recent events highlighting the dangers of using social networking sites, we thought we'd ask you about your views on social websites like Facebook, MySpace and even The AnswerBank.
This poll is closed.
Which social networking websites do you regularly use?
- Facebook - 53 votes
- I only use The AnswerBank - 44 votes
- Other - 13 votes
- Twitter - 6 votes
- Yahoo! Answers - 6 votes
- Flickr - 3 votes
- MySpace - 0 vote
- Bebo - 0 vote
When you use social networking websites, do you feel that your personal information and other data is safe?
- Maybe. I think my data is safe but I don’t like giving information out anyway. - 43 votes
- I never use my real name and location when signing up to websites. - 19 votes
- Yes, but I fear that my details are used for marketing purposes. - 12 votes
- Yes, I trust the website with my data fully. - 9 votes
- No, I think my data is auctioned off to the highest bidder! - 7 votes
Do you worry that the people you talk to on social networking websites aren’t who they say they are?
- Yes, I try to distance myself from making ‘friends’ on websites because of this. - 41 votes
- Yes, but it doesn’t bother me. - 27 votes
- No, I don’t care because I’ll talk to them anyway! - 17 votes
- No, I trust people entirely. - 1 vote
Do you maintain private contact with people on social networking websites who you’ve never met in person?
- No. - 50 votes
- Yes, but only occasionally. - 23 votes
- No, but I would if I was asked. - 9 votes
- Yes, on a regular basis. - 7 votes
- Yes, but it was a one off. - 1 vote
Would you ever meet up in person with someone from a social networking website?
- No. - 25 votes
- No! Especially if I was meeting someone from The AnswerBank! They’re a bunch of nutters! - 16 votes
- Unsure. - 13 votes
- Yes, but only in a group. - 12 votes
- Yes, on my own. - 10 votes
- Yes, but only those who I have known for 1 year or more. - 8 votes
- No, it’s not that I don’t trust them, but the situation would make me uncomfortable. - 7 votes
© AnswerBank Ltd 2000 - 2017. All Rights Reserved.
No best answer has yet been selected by AB Editor. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
I did use the Private Messaging facility on *whisper* SAB because I found it a useful way of continuing 'board discussions' on a more private basis, enabling me to explain more fully my thoughts, views and experiences to individual Abers rather than having to either announce them to everyone on AB, or be ham-strung in the completeness of my posts on the main board.
I may well arrange to meet someone from AB but am old enough and wise enough to stay safe when doing so.
I believe as long as one does not give out too much personal information, they're ok. Just an observation on AB - I've seen many times where some of the thing folks on here said came back to haunt them. Their input was innocently done and it was used as a weapon against them.