Donate SIGN UP

Computer Science?

Avatar Image
powell11 | 19:51 Sun 28th Aug 2011 | Science
12 Answers
Is the computer science the same as robotic engineering, cuz whenever i type robotics in a search bar on a university website, it just comes up with computer science all the time, but cant seem to find any evidence that they are at all related.


1 to 12 of 12rss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by powell11. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
They're not the same.

For a list of all relevant courses in UK universities, start here:

Click 'Search by Subject', then on 'r' and on 'Robotics'. Finally, click 'All Robotics course'.

Robotics is a subject much beloved by computer science couses at the moment and a lot are teaching modules of Robotics as options.

I doubt you'll find any undergraduate courses purely on robotics - you'd be best investigating which Universities have the best reputation for that sector.

One I believe is quite good is the University of Essex - they're quite proud of their robotic fish
I believe they are into Robotics and Artificial Intelligence at Warwick Uni. I seem to recall a Prof from there was always turning up on Robot Wars.
powell11, I'd suggest you have a look at universities offering mechatronics. Degrees in mechatronics invariably include a good deal of robotics in the course.
A very good friend of mine was one of the first students on a mechatronics degree course at the first UK university to offer mechatronics. He's now an exceptionally talented professor of robotics at a US university.
I take it back you can do Robotics at several Universities

Reading also do courses which include Robotics.....
Computer Science is just that. The theory and operation of computers and their software. You need another type of degree to delve into the hardware such as robotics.
Question Author
are there any in the USA? For a graduate course, it says must have previouse experience in a relevant field bla bla bla. Would this be relevant to astrophysics or anything?
If you post on a UK-based website (and don't tell us that you're in the USA) you shouldn't be surprised when you get UK-based answers!

These links might help:

However are university systems are so different to yours that it's hard for us to understand much of what we encounter on US university websites. (For example, we don't have 'majors' and 'minors' in the way which you do). You're far more likely to get US-based information by posting on a US website, such as one of these:

Even so (from looking at some UK and US websites), you'll almost certainly need excellent high school qualifications in both physics and maths in order to get a place on any course.

"However are . . . " should read "However our . . . "
In my naivety I'd have thought the two areas overlapped. Since it is unlikely you would be able to programme a robot unless you have a feel for computer science, and yet the building of a robot is probably outside of the computing arena. More mechanics/hydraulics/etc..
-- answer removed --

1 to 12 of 12rss feed