Donate SIGN UP


Avatar Image
grem78 | 16:35 Tue 25th Oct 2011 | Insurance
3 Answers
I am going to hire a car overseas, there is aways a heavy excess if something happens. I heard that my own fully comp will cover this? Is this true?


1 to 3 of 3rss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by grem78. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
Your own fully comp will NOT cover it. That's a myth put about by Americans, for whom it does happen to be mostly true.

Whether there's a heavy excess or not depends on whether you have paid extra insurance to waive it. There is in most cases if you haven't.
I buy an annual policy from:

as I hire cars abroad regulary. The last time that I forgot to renew my policy I was charged £10 per day for CDW by the hire company in Northern Ireland. You will not be covered by your own comprehensive insurance.
I've been using Insurance4carhire for a few years now, if you hire more than one car a year it is cheaper than taking out the hire companies own excess cover. I've never needed to claim but two people I've recommended it to have had to for written off people carriers (neither their fault) and got their €1600 back within the month, you do have to cough up at the time and claim it back.

1 to 3 of 3rss feed

Do you know the answer?


Answer Question >>