Donate SIGN UP

NHS Prescriptions

Avatar Image
geejaypat | 17:47 Mon 28th Jul 2008 | Body & Soul
12 Answers
I have a business here in Uk and all my revenues and taxes are paid here.
I am also type 2 Diabetic.
My wife and I travel and sometimes are out of the country for more than 3 Months.
Am I still entitled to NHS prescriptions


1 to 12 of 12rss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by geejaypat. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
Where is your main residence.
Question Author
My main residence is UK and I pay all taxes on my uk property when we are not here and as I said in my first question, my business is here and all taxes and stamps are paid in the UK
what did you do previously when you were out of the country longer than 3 months?
Question Author
I actually put in a repeat prescription before I needed it to cover he duration period, but the reason for my asking the original question is that someone told me that I may not be entitled because I was out of the Uk for more than 3 Months.
You should have your card that gives you free prescriptions for five years,

I know of no reason why you should not be entitled just because you go abroad for extended holidays,

However, phone them on 0845 601 8076 to put your mind at rest
Question Author
Thank you, will phone tomorrow
fay, what card gives you free prescriptions for 5 years?

to register with a gp you have to be in the country for a "lawful and settled purpose" - th onus is on you to prove this with an address etc and if you are registered with a gp them you can get prescriptions
Bednobs - you can get medical exemption certificates valid for five years if you have certain medical conditions.

geejaypat has diabetis so can get one of these.
thats wieird - i didnt think type 2 diabetes was covered by medical exemption
I just checked that link and it is only covered where medical treatment other than dietary is needed.
My parents live abroad all year round and they get NHS prescriptions when they are home.
Taken from BMA site:

I live abroad for six months of the year and asked my doctor to give me six months worth of prescription to cover this period but they refused. Can this be right?
The NHS accepts responsibility for supplying ongoing medication for temporary periods abroad of up to 3 months. If a person is going to be abroad for more than three months then all that the patient is entitled to at NHS expense is a sufficient supply of his/her regular medication to get to the destination and find an alternative supply of that medication.

1 to 12 of 12rss feed

Do you know the answer?

NHS Prescriptions

Answer Question >>