Loss of smell and taste due to an upper respiratory tract infection

Noseybones | 11:09 Tue 06th Dec 2011 | Body & Soul
Hi, last year i had an upper respiratory tract infection and lost my sense of taste and smell and this hasn't came back yet.
I have some limited smell and taste responding to very salty, bitter or sweet foods but on the whole 90% of my smell and taste is not there and this is really starting to get me down.

Are there any medications or sprays anyone can recommend that may help me?

Answers

Only 1 answerrss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by Noseybones. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

Sympathy....but I think the only advice available is to give it lots of time and TLC. I find now that certain nuances of taste and smell have come back. Steamy inhalations seem to help.
I found more than anything that trying to discuss this with my GP has drawn a complete and total blank, other than a prescription for multivitamins.
What I'd suggest is keep it positive - work with the senses you can detect even if it's vindaloo or camphorated oil - and distract yourself so you don't dwell on it.

Only 1 answerrss feed