Donate SIGN UP

What other treatment might be covered by my car insurance?

Avatar Image
kira000 | 18:48 Thu 16th Apr 2009 | Insurance
4 Answers
Bit of an odd question this, and could have posted it in B& S instead but wasnt sure on best fit.
Basically, i had an accident in Jan, was hit by a lorry pulling into the side of me, and sustained some whiplash injury to my neck. My insurer arranged an assessment with a nurse, who recommended me Physio, which the insurer sorted out, and is ongoing.

Whilst the whiplash isnt drastically severe, it is still painful, and upon conclusion of a conversation with the physio, she feels that one of the reasons i'm not recovering more quickly, is that as a result of the accident, im finding driving really quite stressful- i feel like any vehicle that drives alongside me in a multi lane road, is going to pull into me like the lorry did - which makes me rather tense!
Unfortunately i have a 3-4 hour round trip to work every day, which i cant avoid, so i'm spending large amounts of time feeling really tense and stressed!
I have been working on trying to relax, but i'm finding it really hard. I even had an upset tummy for 3 week following the accident, everytime i had to drive, just from getting stressed about it! And i certainly havent felt able to deal with the 3 hours each way on the motorway to see my mum since the accident.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what i could discuss with my insurer in terms of any treatment for the stress and tension, or will i just have to put up with it? At the end of the day, i just want to get my neck better and feel comfortable driving again!

Incase it makes any difference, i do have legal cover, my insurers do believe the other driver is at fault, and have started a legal claim for the physio etc as well as the repair of my car.



1 to 4 of 4rss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by kira000. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
Talk to your GP and your physio - they both may have thoughts on what may help you.
Counselling, stress management are possibilities.
Hi kira:

From what you describe I'd suggest that you do have classic symptoms of post traumatic stress disorder, a condition which can last a long, long time, many years in certain cases, if not for ever.

I'd advise you urgently to see your doctor, given that the accident was 3 months ago, because it doesn't sound as if you should be driving any distance at all, let alone the 6 hours round trip to see your mum (sorry, mum!).

I'm not a medical "expert" but have had a very similar experience years ago to yours and am still suffering the after effects.

Go see your doctor and get some counselling arranged asap.

Good luck.
I was in an accident in 86 (boxing day as well!!) and was hit left side on by a car not stopping at a junction. I was on a moped.

Even now I flinch a little even now if anything comes up on my left.

Post traumatic stress disorder Pah phoo suck it up mate and get your insurere to pay for counciling or something.
Question Author
Thanks for your thoughts peeps. I'm due to be going to see the doctor assigned me by the insurer shortly for an assessment, so i think i'll mention it all to him and see what he says.

In a way i'm glad i do have to drive to work, as if there was a viable alternative, i would probably have taken it, and i would be alot more nervous of driving. Just getting back behind the wheel helped a bit, but still.. my shoulders and neck feel like wood!

1 to 4 of 4rss feed

Do you know the answer?

What other treatment might be covered by my car insurance?

Answer Question >>

Related Questions

Sorry, we can't find any related questions. Try using the search bar at the top of the page to search for some keywords, or choose a topic and submit your own question.