Emigrating / working abroad

Avatar Image
sammd | 10:34 Wed 15th Mar 2006 | Business & Finance
3 Answers
How would emigrating or working abroad for a few years affect pensions...? Presumably it would be possible to get one in the other country aswell but then what happens to the pension in the other country when you retire?


1 to 3 of 3rss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by sammd. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
The pension just sits there waiting for contributions as and when. If you are out of the country nothing actually happens it just sits there, hopefully growing! Assuming it's a money purchase scheme it's just a pot of money, think of it as a savings account that you leave behind until you come back.

Additionally you won't be paying National Insurance so you'll have a gap in your state pension.

You are allowed some gap not sure exactly how long without looking it up; you can also pay voluntary contributions while you are away.

This assumes you are coming back of course

Question Author

1 to 3 of 3rss feed

Do you know the answer?

Emigrating / working abroad

Answer Question >>

Related Questions

Sorry, we can't find any related questions. Try using the search bar at the top of the page to search for some keywords, or choose a topic and submit your own question.