basic accounting and tax advice please

Avatar Image
learntojive | 00:24 Tue 24th Jul 2007 | Personal Finance
7 Answers
I'm doing some books for my friend who's a plumber, (he's a subcontracter, self employed) He's been paying an accountant �350 to do proper year end accounts which I don't think he really needs.
I've done some book keeping and tax but I'm not an accountant, I've got his accounts from last year and there's a couple of queries I have on the balance sheet. 1.Firstly does he need a balance sheet when he's not really a business as such, would just a profit and loss be adequate?
2.There's a large amount on there 'withdrawals' that I can't identify . Balance b'f/wd and profit from p&l and then this withdrawals is deducted. Is it so obvious I'm being a bit thick!
3. He's taxed on his pay under the construction industry scheme, where do I show that or is it just his gross pay that is on his accounts and then just put the tax on his tax return?
4. Is there anywhere I can read up on what he can and can't claim for on his expenses?
5. Am I ok doing this for him? it seems quite straightforward but I'd hate to get him in a mess and him wish he'd just paid the �350. It's basically just his pay and a few expenses for the tax return, there is some depreciation on last years balance sheet for the van, pc and mobile phone - is that just 25% off the carried forward amounts? (although I thought it was capital allowance rather deprecation that was allowable)

A bit of a jumble I know but I'd apprecate any help and advice anyone can give me. Thanks.


1 to 7 of 7rss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by learntojive. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
-- answer removed --
I totally agree with Zacsmaster.

I quote "He's been paying an accountant �350 to do proper year end accounts which I don't think he really needs."

Well he obviously does need an account if your on here asking how to do the job!
Question Author
I was just trying to save a mate a few pounds ...thanks very much for your help
-- answer removed --
-- answer removed --
Tax planning is a vital part of any business and if your business is based in London, then it is imperative to outsource this aspect to expert tax accountants in London. There are many reasons why you should reach out for tax planning help London.

Visit now :
Hi all, if anyone is looking for accounting, bookkeeping and tax solutions then please visit below website.
Also, there is free trial available here.

1 to 7 of 7rss feed

Do you know the answer?

basic accounting and tax advice please

Answer Question >>

Related Questions

Sorry, we can't find any related questions. Try using the search bar at the top of the page to search for some keywords, or choose a topic and submit your own question.