manchester

Apparently Deansgate in Manchester is shut and we need to get to the Palace theatre tommorow night - we are coming from Nelson Can any one help please
20:12 Tue 06th Mar 2012

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by granny grump. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

This doesn't help you in the slightest (sorry) but I come from Nelson :-)
you could go on to trinity way from bury new road, then to new quay street, quay street and rejoin deansgate at the meridian (just past the opera house).
Go here:
http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp
Set 'From' as Preston.
Set 'To' as M1 6FT for the theatre itself, M1 6NE for the Whitworth Street car park, or M1 5EJ for the Oxford Street car park.
Click 'Via point' and enter 'Mancunian Way'
Click 'Get Route'
If required, use the + button to zoom in on the map (although the written directions may well suffice).

If using one of those car parks (and parking after 5pm) remember to get your ticket validated at the theatre, to qualify for the discounted parking rate. (£7 for 6 hours).

Chris
Thank you all - off to print route and check the other directions - thanks for coming on the thread Boo
I'm not so sure that you should follow my directions! I've just noticed that I can't tell Nelson from Preston!!!!
(But, with correct starting point, the Mancunian Way route is still fine!)
I havent printed it off yet Buenchico so I'll sTart from Nelson - thank you
Being a Mancunian and born not too far from the Palace Theatre, I would go this way. I hope you don't mind me giving you street names. This will take you through the city centre:
Take M66 to M60 J19. Follow sign for Mcr City Centre, past Heaton Park then turn left onto Victoria Ave. (About half amile) Along Vic. Ave to major set of lights and turn right into Rochdale Rd. (About 2 miles). Along Rochdale Rd, past Collyhurst Police Station and turn left into Thompson Street. (About 5 miles). To end of Thompson St and turn right onto Oldham Rd. Stay left onto Gt Ancoats St, past the old Daily Express building (large black glass windows) turn right onto Newton St. To end of Newton St, then straight on down Portland St past the Britannia Hotel to Oxford St. Turn left onto Oxford St and the Palace Theatre is about 400 yds on your left. This will totally avoid Deansgate, as it's on the other side of the City. Watch out for average speed check cameras on Vic. Ave.
What a kn0b! Just looked at the date! Doh! Hope you had no problems anyway!
Brilliant directions buenchico thank you. We got there in good time - parked next to the theatre Brilliant night we went to see Oliver. Thank you again
My pleasure!
Thank you anyway 10ClarionSt - the directions are certainly detailed