Lies

Why cant the courts use Lie Detectors to help in cases of prooving if someone is telling lies, or is it only used on the Jeremy Kyle show,with all our latest technology something could be used,rather than leaving it to the judge to say one way or another if someone is telling the truth or not,when so much can depend on the outcome.
11:56 Wed 27th Feb 2013

VHG
Best Answer
Lie detectors cant "prove" someone is lying. They can only indicate if a person is possibly lying. And with training you can "fool" a lie detector. Lie dectectors measure your body changes (heart rate etc) that happen if you tell a lie, but if you are "good" at lying it wont indicate any change when a person lies. So cant be used in a court of law.
11:59 Wed 27th Feb 2013 Go To Best Answer

Because they are fallible.
Because they aren't reliable enough
Lie detectors cant "prove" someone is lying.

They can only indicate if a person is possibly lying.

And with training you can "fool" a lie detector.

Lie dectectors measure your body changes (heart rate etc) that happen if you tell a lie, but if you are "good" at lying it wont indicate any change when a person lies.

So cant be used in a court of law.
there is a post about this very subject a little down the page
And just to correct an misunderstanding you seem to have, Jordeyboy: with the exception of District Judges sitting along in the Magistrates' court (and the very rare occasions when trials are held without juries in the Crown Court) it is not judges who decide on matters of fact (that is, whether someone is telling the truth or not). That task is left to a Bench of three Magistrates in the Magistrates' court and to a jury in the Crown Court.
The Polygraph (lie detector) has been around for over 90 years and measures some physical Attributes. In some courts outside the UK, with the agreement of all parties, it can be used but as has been stated it has been shown to be unreliable. I would consider it to be a retrograde step to admit the findings of a Polygraph into evidence in the UK.
They don't even detect lies really there merely look for signs of stress that occur when someone is less than honest. They can easily be fooled and are rightly not admissible as evidence.
sherriff court in scotland where the sherriff decides the reliability of witnesses,new judge.
Thanks for the info, Jordeyboy.

I don't know too much about Scottish law and procedures. My answer related to England and Wales only and I should have made that clear.
Yes New Judge
and what about R v Pryce
where the Prosecution decided not to call - well one of your colleagues - because well they werent sure if they would tell the truth or not

surely not ?
they should try the test on mps
That's why you have advocates and judges (and juries in criminal crown court trials). Daft idea. Advocates and Judges aren't bad at sniffing out a fibber you know.
lol, you think I have no experience of people lying in Court? lol
Seems as if you have had the same expierience as me pokomoko,rather frustrating isnt it?
Yes, but think of the fun it is, when prosecuting, to get someone convicted when your witnesses are lying. Not half as much fun as defending someone who lies his head off and is acquitted. Jordyboy and pokomoko, you really ought to have more thought for counsel; their pleasures are limited at the best of times.

Barmaid, surely people don't lie in the Chancery Division do they? I thought they just sat there bemused whilst counsel agreed a settlement. Basic rule is that in criminal cases one side is lying; in civil cases, neither side is, just hoping it will all end and wondering how it got this far; in family (divorce) cases everyone ends up lying, including the social workers.

And the lie detector is utterly unreliable anyway. The story goes that it's inventor was horrified at it being elevated to the status of some defining aid.