Another lottery winner going to 'carry on working"

Why do these people bother doing the lottery if they dont want it to change their lives? Isnt that what it's all about? It is also extremely selfish to continue to work in a job when you have come into so much money, enough to retire on, when there are so many out there looking for work. What's wrong with doing volountary work if you are fortunate enough to be in that position? Not take a job that someone else may be desperate for.
16:16 Mon 09th Jan 2012

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by dave50. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

First Previous 1 2

if I was starting out, I'd have to pay most of a million to buy a house like mine on the fringes of London (converted semi, one floor). Even with a decent mortgage, there certainly wouldn't be enough left over from £1.3 million (say) to support a family for the next 50 years. So of course I'd go on working. As rowan says, a million doesn't go all that far these days.
Sorry dave 50 it should be up to the individual how they carry on and how they live their lives and good luck to them for being fortunate to be able to make choices.
She is 19, and without the lottery win would expect to retire at 65.

Her win will pay her less than £550 a week until she is 65. Not bad, but hardly a fortune. And that is without buying a house.
^^Quite right. It sounds like a lot of money - but it's not.
Totally agree with you Gromit.
Ok point taken, maybe in this particular case retirement isnt an option but there have been cases in the past where someone middle aged has won many millions and still they want to carry on in their old job which is ridiculous and selfish.
"With 1.3mill, you can buy a whole new set of friends sp. Bugger your old set, buy a new lot more fitting to your new station in life, tis what I'd do! "

I'm so glad I'm not one of your "friends" Boo.
And another thing i cant understand, why is it that you hear of people with millions in the bank who can afford to retire quite comfortably yet they loose it all in some failed investment? Why risk it all if you dont need to? Is it greed? Boredom? Just be happy to be in such a fortunate position and live the rest of your life worry free and in comfort.

First Previous 1 2