east facing garden

i am moving to a new house where the garden is east facing, can you tell me how much sun i will get and at what time of day, and will there be a time when i will get no sun at all?
14:11 Tue 07th Mar 2006

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by thetithe. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

You should get sun from sunrise until around midday, after this I'm afraid you will have to go into the front garden, or if your garden is long enough go down there!!!
my back garden faces east and its sunny till about )3.00 then it just gets less as its all in the front garden by then..its nice though as you will get the early morning sun and when its really hot you will be glad of the shade in the early evenings..

If your not a morning person you'l miss out big time. the front of my house faces east and the sun filters through tall decidous trees and I never miss an opportunity to get my earl UV fix and 10 deep breaths of clean air !

By noon its creaping round the south side and from 12 to about 3pm it gets really hot. the west side in late afternoon is my favourite place to savour the last dieing rays, but the north side scarcely gets a glimpse of sun at all..

if the front of your house faces east, you will get the sun from sunrise until about midday and then it will migrate round to the back of your house for the afternoon. In the depth of winter, when the sun is low in the sky, you probably won't see the sun until later in the morning,i.e. between 9 a.m. - 10 a.m.

If the back of your house faces east, then your back garden will get the sun in the morning and it will move round to the front garden in the afternoon, and your front windows will catch the setting sun.

If there are other houses overlooking you (at the back or the front) then except in mid summer when the sun is high in the sky & almost overhead, the roofs of the houses could block out some sunshine during winter months when the sun is low in the sky.