Books for 8 year old boy.

My son is 8 and likes to read. He has read most of the Roald Dahl books but what other books would be suitable. I find that a lot of books for his age are quite short and too easy to read and then others for teenagers would be unsuitable. Any suggestions?
08:08 Fri 30th Mar 2012

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by flobadob. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

It's been a long long timee since my sons were 8, one of them was an avid reader and devoured books. I'm sorry I can't remember any that he read at that time.

Maybe a trip to your local library??
Has he read The Hobbit? My daughter tackled that one at about 8 or 9, & then moved on to Lord of The Rings a year or so later
Have a look at some of Michael Morpurgo's books.

Or there is always Enid Blyton; I wouldn't be the man I am today without the Famous Five.
Yeah, I read some Famous Fives when I was younger too. Thanks for those lists guys, I will have a look through them. Don't know about the Hobbit, but then again he might like it.
My son liked the Dirty Berty series and also Captain Underpants. Horrid Henry is another. I'll try to think of some more.
My sons loved the Alex Rider books by Anthony Horowitz, more aimed at young teenagers I think, but might be worth a look.
Try the Goosebumps series by R L Stine, aimed at 9 - 12 year olds. There must be over 50 by now.
"Sophie and the pancake plot, Sophie and the locust curse, Sophie and the albino camel" all by Stephen Davies.

They are quite short but very funny. I would recommend all these.
Swallows and Amazons and then all the Ransome series, certainlyignitedmy imagination when I was 7 or 8.
How about "Horrible History" books by Terry Deary

"Basically for teaching kids history, but "without all the boring bits" (their words, not mine)!

Though some of the books do like to exaggerate that lots of blood was spilt and heads rolled in certain battles in history, overall they are aimed at 7 years and upwards... unless your child(ren) are particularly easily upset or shocked.

They are about as suitable as some of the darker Roald Dahl books are. Nothing overly nasty, but just enough grue to keep the kids happy, without freaking them out."
He will love "The Arthur Westerns" by Alan Coren. There are several stories in one book including "Arthur the Kid" and "Buffalo Arthur"
How about the Artemis Fowl books by Eoin Colfer? Is 8 too young to start the Harry Potter books? I was devouring Enid Blyton at 8 but that was the
dark ages. Another good set is the "Pure Dead" series by Debi Gliori, those are great fun, the first one is Pure Dead Magic.