Windfarms, for or against?

I wondered what peoples opinions are, on the benefits or not of wind farms.
17:47 Tue 05th Jul 2011

annie0000
Best Answer
I hate them where they have sited them. They are not as efficient as is claimed apparently - it's just a nod towards the targets of "clean" energy. I can see two separate wind-farms from my house and quite frankly they ruin the landscape. When we were in Holland on holiday, they site their windmills in industrial areas and on the docks etc where they aren't so...
18:01 Tue 05th Jul 2011 Go To Best Answer

2 Next Last

I would like to know just how efficient they are.
I regularly pass three and no matter what day or time it is they never seem to be going round, it makes you wonder just what use they are.
Prefer them next door to a nuclear power station. Actually I live in North Wales and my house faces the sea and I have a splendid view of the wind farms there and quite like them
i am against, for lots of reasons, i was reading an article about it, and watched a programme they had on recently, where the proposal was to put up a bank of these wind turbines, the size is colossal, in a very beautiful area, which attracts lots of tourists, wildlife enthusiasts, and has a strong community, and the locals were up in arms. I don't know whether they won their case or not, but i sincerely hope they did.
I hate them where they have sited them. They are not as efficient as is claimed apparently - it's just a nod towards the targets of "clean" energy. I can see two separate wind-farms from my house and quite frankly they ruin the landscape. When we were in Holland on holiday, they site their windmills in industrial areas and on the docks etc where they aren't so obtrusive. I am for renewable energy in general, but plonking giant windmills all over the countryside isn't necessarily the best solution.
Against, against, against! They`re in the process of plonking a 22 turbine (the tallest turbines in Europe too) windfarm at my old village. They`ve turned a picturesqe area into an eyesore, ruined property prices and I can`t even begin to think what the noise will be like. Give me nuclear power any day. Anyone that is for them is obviously like the "not in my back yard" brigade. The application was turned down numerous times, only to be approved by someone in Westminster, 200 miles away! They should stick them out to sea and over the horizon. Give me nuclear power anyday. It`s the only way to go (and far more effective)
yes and no

No to the little ones and microturbines - environmentally a waste of timeas if you conduct a full carbon life cycle, they are hopless. They make people feel good about themselves in backing electricity out from their meters.

(the one that may be interesting though are these clay rotators to go on chimney pots and spin away - havent seen the economics or FCLC on them)

Yes generally to the big ones as long as they are well sited and very pro to the >2Mwh ones out at sea. Yes, if they involve the local community in the chance to participate in the benefits as they have done in Scotland. There's a village up there north of Lomond who created a company, raised the £2 mln (mainly Highlands & Islands) and approached the developers who said yes to a tower. The profits have been used to refit the highest grade insulation into all homes and now the boilers are being tackled, next biodiesel buses....... And that is the failing down here in Cornwall, there is no local community participation to "sell in" the projects re visual pollution and the rest.

Interesting one, a digression in part, is the Hayle Estuary tidal hub where they are testing 4 new tidal technologies and feeding 20Mwh into the grid....will be interesting to see the economics on that and how the costs on the learning curve come down.
For; I think they look lovely and makes me happy to know that they are going at least someway to producing renewable energy. If I had them across the road from me I would much prefer it to the eyesore of the housing estate we have at the moment or the disused messy allotments we had before that!
The difference is with respect, wind farms are spread across a huge area, There doesn't seem a really sound basis that i have read or seen to have them, and i think that they are a massive eyesore. In order to fulfill our power requirements we would need hundreds of thousands. And no one has yet proven how efficient they are, and if no wind, presumably no power. As to the long term effects on wildlife, and whats under the sea, we don't know what that is doing, could be upsetting these delicate eco systems.
The couple featured in todays paper, though haven't read the whole piece, were driven out of their home, due to the low frequency hum, noise from the eight wind turbines, 320 ft high, half a mile from their home, their prime concern was the noise. Apparently they are bringing a case to the London High courts. Also it says there is no legal limit how near they can be to your home.
I remain to be convinced.
so em - how are you going to get your tricity in the future - continue with coal and oil perhaps....
Blot on the landscape.
Nuclear power, and sorry the governments should have seen this coming years ago, that we would need other sources of power generation. If anyone thinks a bunch of 320 ft monster turbines thrumming away in their back yard is ok, then fine, but i hate them, not just a blot on the landscape,
but not a fully credible source of energy, and very expensive.
Against, people are being made into human Guenia Pigs including my family There are no studies as to the health impacts from the noise, and low frequency vibrations. Both myself and my teenage son have been diagnosed with high blood pressure since the turbines went in. After spending thousands to find out why, the Dr.s had no answer.
We are living in the footprint of Blue Sky- Green Field Wind farm Malone Wisconsin, 1000' setback from homes. Not property lines HOMES

2 Next Last