The AnswerBank will have a massage at 2:00 AM

Internet connection keeps dropping out

My internet connection keeps disconnecting and I am at a loss as to what is causing it. When it happens, I have to unplug the modem and plug back in to get it to connect again.

I have contacted my ISP who told me the problem is not at their end, it is to do with my hardware. I have installed a brand new modem and am getting the same issue.

Sometimes it goes for several hours without disconnecting but other times several times in a few minutes! I work online so this is basically doing my head in. I don't know what else to try, can anyone suggest anything?

One more thing - it always seems to disconnect when I am downloading a large file, or sending a file in an email for example. And it's impossible trying to run file sharing software on this connection. Thanks in advance!
20:48 Tue 02nd Oct 2007

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by gemmabe. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

Firstly how are you connecting.. .hardwire/wireless etc.

Have you checked to see if you have set an idle timeout in your software?

Have they upgraded you recently?
For example,if they upgrade you to 2mb but your line won't support it,then you will keep losing your connection.
They upgraded me from 1mb to 8mb recently and I am connecting usually at a speed of 7.6mb. My ISP said this was coincidence when I suggested it could be the problem.

I usually connect via a speedtouch USB modem. I have just installed a Belkin wireless router instead and I can't get a connection at all (it says it's connected but nothing downloads/uploads etc).

Bekka it wouldn't be an idle timeout surely as I am constantly using the connection and the connection period varies...?
I don't believe in coincidences.
If this started after the upgrade then this is your best bet.
If you are on adsl max it should be ok as it continually probes your speed to keep you at the optimum maximum and drops back slightly when you get in the unstable zone.
If it is just a fixed 8 mb then perhaps your line is not quite up to it.
Which isp are you with and is your modem software up to date?
bongoboy I have to say I agree with you there. I will contact them again although they are adamant it's a problem with my hardware.

Although I am on the max service, it states "up to 8mb". My ISP is Tiscali and I will have a check now to see if I can get some more up to date software.
try the thomson website for a driver update.just select your modem from the dropdown menu.
http://www.thomson-broadband.co.uk/codepages/c ontent3.asp?c=7
are you a fair distance from your exchange and are your increased disconnects mainly in the evenings?
basically, this sounds like your speed is too fast for your line. the problem is with your line but BT wont say as much.
I had a similar problem and had to keep moaning at my ISP to get any action.My hardware was fine and BT said my line was fine and my ISP as with yours said the problem wasnt at their end.
They contacted BT on my behalf who tweaked my line settings and all has been fine ever since.
I hope this helps.
I would suggest thinking about switching to cable broadband [if it�s available where you are], which is much more reliable - costs a bit more, but if it's for your business it has to be worth it. I use VirginMedia (used to be ntl) �25 per month (can�t remember whether it�s 4Mb or 8Mb, but never had any complaint about the speed) ... only had one problem in 4 years, which did take a month for them to fix, but it's so much faster than ADSL, or so I'm told.
Thanks all for your input. I was originally told I could only receive 1mb max on my line, then a few weeks later it was suddenly hitting speeds of 8mb which seems a bit of a leap. I am not too far from the exchange. And unfortunately cable broadband is not available in my area. I do suspect the problem is the speed is too much for my line to cope with (that was my instinct) so I will try ringing the techies again tomorrow when they open. I wish they knew what they were talking about!
Have just downgraded myself online to 2mb connection so hopefully this will solve the problem. I will post any update as and when. Thanks again.
could try a broadband speedtest
http://www.speedtester.bt.com/
The speed test has completed on test server speedtester1.nat.bt.com for user ***********and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

1649 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Your IP address is ***, your browser is reported as being Mozilla 5.0 and is running on Windows XP.

BT would regard the speed ranges shown below as normal service:

For 250kbps End Users speeds between 50 - 250kbps.
For 500kbps End Users speeds between 100 - 500kbps.
For 1000kbps End Users speeds between 200 - 1000kbps.
For 2000kbps End Users speeds between 400 - 2000kbps.
I use to have exactly the same problem when mine got upgraded. I fixed it by putting a DSL filter on each of my phone lines. It works great now.
I only have one phone line which is right next to where I work (no extension lead). I have tried using one filter directly plugged into the socket, no extra bits, and it still drops :( I have a sky box which is connected also to a separate filter, so i thought that may have been the case so i disconnected it and same problem! Will call Tiscali once I get a break.
gemmabe, any news on this? I seem to be having the same problem with Pipex...