IE timing out

When I`m doing something on Internet Explorer I`m increasingly getting the "cannot connect to the web page" screen. I think IE is timing out really quickly. It only seems to give 5 or 6 seconds of trying to connect before giving up. It`s got to the point where if I buy or book something, I do it on Mozilla. I`m not sure which version of IE it is but it came with the laptop 3 years ago. Is there a setting somewhere that determines how long IE gives before it times out?
22:12 Tue 14th Feb 2012

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by 237SJ. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

This may be helpful, but make sure you backup your registry before mucking about with it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813827