Sewing Machines?

I'm thinking of replacing my 30 year old Singer Machine as its started to play up! (I'm having trouble with the tension!)
Can anyone recommend one, either a Singer or Brother? Just a basic one that doesnt do anything fancy apart from reverse and zigzag! It will be mainly used for home furnishings.
Thanks!
18:56 Sun 18th Mar 2012

gsr600
Best Answer
I have a silvercrest 1 from Aldi or lidl was £60, not that i'm an expert but I can use it OK, done curtains - trouser hems & other odd items, had fun getting the tension about right at first.
yes I am a man - why should women have all the fun -lol
20:08 Sun 18th Mar 2012 Go To Best Answer

Good reviews (and cheap!):
http://tinyurl.com/8262e6c
My OH swears by her Bernina.
I had a Brother for many years and it served me very well. Buying a new machine is always a bind. The first week I thought I wouldn't get used to it, but after that it felt like I had never used any other. Good luck.
I bought a new machine last year.It is a Brother, and I got it from www.sewingmachines.co.uk they were efficient and very helpful, and I got loads of freebies with my order. I would use them again if I needed to. Hope you find what you are looking for!
Do you have a sale room near you?
I go to a household auction every month and decent electric sewing machines go for less than £5. I bought one for one of my sisters for £1!
I've got a Brother, basic but fine.
Depends how much you are prepared to pay but 'sewing machines online' sells what they call 'seconds' or 'reburbished' at a huge discount. They are in fact brand new and still have the factory seals which would have to be removed to use them. I think that this is to get round the fact that they are undercutting other suppliers against their contract with the manufacturer.
Thank you for your replies :-)
Best of all was always Elna. Swiss engineering is best, but failing swiss, go for Bernina.
Or borrow the latest "which" guide from your local public Library
Thank you for all your advice - I ended up buying a Singer machine from a online company on Sunday! It has just arrived this morning & I'm more than pleased with it! Although it was advertised as a 'ex display' its actually brand new! I got big discount and some free scissors, cant wait to start sewing :-)