Origin of the word snore

What is the origin of the word snore please
13:43 Wed 02nd Jan 2008

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by barmy. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

Webster's suggests it's probably imitative..........:o)
Its earliest uses were as a verb to suggest an animal such as a pig making a sound. Only later did it take on the meaning of making harsh breathing sounds in humans. Shakespeare was first to use the word as a noun in Macbeth with the sentence, "The surfeited grooms do mock their charge with snores."
I'm sure The Builder is right to suggest that it is imitative or onomatopoeic...ie a snore sounds like 'snore' in the same way as a splash makes a splash-sound!
I don't really know, but I can tell you for sure that the Swedish word for "snot" (as in nasal mucus) is "snor". It's from the word "snoor" which is to be found in the Swedish "branch" of Old Norse.

You do snore worse when you have a snotty nose... and if you rearrange the letters in NORSE, well whuddaya get! ;-)

(Hi Quizmonster, long time no see.)
There is definitely a Scandinavian connection.
(I'm generally around, DaS, but, as you say, it's quite some time since I last saw your name. Nice to see you.)