Pinch Punch first of the month

why? I know this has been asked as part of another question but no explanation was given as to the origins of this saying.
11:05 Thu 23rd Oct 2003

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by Phantaxus. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

The only reference I can find on the net to the origins is this In Britain, for instance, you may be confronted by people who pinch you, then punch you on the arm, and say "Pinch, Punch, First of the Month." The origins of this rather unpleasant custom are lost in time, however I can offer you some useful advice. The only defence against this custom is to pinch and punch first because tradition demands that the pinchee is not allowed to retaliate.
The typical response in my household when I was growing up was "a punch and a kick for being so quick"!