Blue and Green should never be seen...

You know the saying Blue and Green should never be seen... What comes next. I have heard except upon an Irish queen/colleen, except in the washing machine and except with something in between. Which is right and where the does the actual saying originate from?
13:08 Fri 28th Mar 2003

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by Skyline. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

I think it's red and green but like you I don't know the rest
I've always known the phrase to be 'blue and green should never be seen, except with yellow in between'. I suspect you'll probably get several different versions!
As children...ie about 60 years ago...my sisters and I always used to chant your "Red and green should never be seen except upon an Irish queen" version. Washing-machines, effectively, didn't even exist at the time!(The word 'queen' in those days referred exclusively to a woman on a throne, you understand!)
"red and green should never be seen, without a colour in between" old advice regarding colour combining with clothing, but don't know where it's from...
Red and Green should never be seen except when worn by a fool. There seems to be a lot of versions!!!!
....& green should never be seen. Fawn should never be worn. Only wear yellow if you are mellow. Never wear brown, when in town. The rhyme goes on to include all basic colours. You end up with only one colour that is OK to wear in each place / or none. The quote is from a black and white film. Don't know which one.
It's 'Red and green should never be seen, except on an Irish Colleen'.
There is another version regarding sailing at night. Red lights to port, green to starboard. So the phrase is "Red and red, or green and green, but red and green should never be seen". ie the other ship is heading straight at you!