fiat punto problems

I have a punto 1.2 75 ELX. The thermostat reading is almost on red even driving about 7 miles short distance run. I drove over 140 miles the other day and checked my oil when i got back to find virtually no oil in but no warning light had indicated to me about this. I have since filled it up. It now jurks ever so slightly when i accelerate harder than normal and the heat reading is way over normal on the thermostat. Could this be a my fan belt or a thermostat problem? Have looked on some websites but not alot of help. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Oh am taking it in later to the garage so any answers before 4:00 would be great taaa!
13:59 Mon 16th May 2005

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by Little Lady. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

Little Lady, sounds like you could have more than one problem here.

First of all the water temp, anywhere on the dial between min and max is ok, usually when it goes into the red you'll get a warning light too.  However this could be due to the fan not cutting in when it should do. I'm not sure if it is electrical fan or belt/pulley driven on Punto's.  If you drive thru town it'll easily overheat, if you drive on dual carriageways or motorways it should be ok.  A failed water thermostat will show as the car not heating up as sticks shut and fails to allow water to circulate fully. Also check the water level when cold, it should be between two clear marks, min and max.

If you took the oil reading from the dipstick, again, anywhere between min and max is fine. The oil pressure warning light would only come on when seriously low (ie off the dipstick).  Even tho the dipstick shows low, there is still some in there.

The jerky take up and acceleration could be down to over heating, I'd say sort that one out first.

Good luck I hope I haven't confused you too much

I used to hear the fan come on regularly but recently now you have said it have not heard it. Hope this is the main thing. Any idea how much these things cost to fix?
All depends on whats gone, could be a thermostat, could be the fan motor.  Scrap yard could be a good starting point.  How are you with car electrics ??
dont ask, took it in last night he said it was the thermostat so he is fitting it today. Could have blown my head gasket apparently good job i didn't.......
Could have been worse, look at it that way. Good luck
i got the same car, same problem cost me 13 for new thermostat but the oil bit could be ur head gasket gone