Car Number Plate MOT

Hi
Please can you help? My car MOT is due soon and I noticed that the front number plate has started to delaminate, two of the characters are affected with black above the letters. Does anyone know if this will fail an MOT? What are the rules with number plates and MOT?
Thank you in advance.
J
10:38 Fri 16th Sep 2011

joko
Best Answer
i just failed on mine...and it wasnt even obscuring the lettering...the mark was under the W, so it was still totally legible

if yours has, say a P and it now looks like an R then you wil fail...the guy in mine cited speed cameras etc
it wasnt a scam because the garage dont make them.
and they restest for free if its in a few days.

i got one for £8... from a...
16:35 Fri 16th Sep 2011 Go To Best Answer

Some garages will fail the car, if you are booking the car into your local garage, pop in & ask them before you take the car in if the plates needs renewing.
Thank you TWR, it's £15 for a new one, do you think it's easiest just to change it?
probably worth changing as it will only get worse, basically the quality of number plates over the last few years have been rubbish. it used to be years before plates deteriorated now they can de-laminate in a matter months, apparently its the quality of the adhesive they use which then allows water to get inbetween the film & the perspex.
funnily enough this number plate problem seem to coincide about the same time the plate manufacturers got to tegether with the govenment to make it harder to buy or make number plates...
If you don't do it now, you will have to soon - and certainly for next year's MOT.

Also if it fails, the garage may charge you more than £15 to rectify the problem.
If the staining obscures the letters, it should fail .. and probably will.

i got one for £8... from a local place, rather than halfords.

you need your licence and log book to do it
you could also try to 'flush out' the black gunk, with a water spray and maybe cotton bud etc...it might be fine then

i did that and it worked but i wrecked it and scraped the black off by accident...so be careful
As said Jos, change the plate but remember to take you V5 ( Log book) for the car with you as proof of ownership otherwise they will not change it.
you could buy a pair on the internet (ebay)
I have done this a few times for my private plates - no docs needed,
all correctly spaced & a postcode on them (not showplates)
£7.49 a pair inc delivery - last December.
Even if it passes, it could be used as an excuse for the old bill to give you a tug if they're at a loose end. Awkward if you've a bootfull of cannabis or were on the sauce last night.
Better to pay £15 now for a new plate than a very hefty fine if you are 'picked-up' by the police for displaying a number plate that is not clearly defined.

Ron.