Can i put grass seed down now?

Is it safe to put grass seed down now, we have had a couple of frosty mornings but I need to get some grass in my field/garden, I'm getting married in the garden toward the end of the year and I need some established lawn, quality isn't important, like I said its a field/garden, a bit of a wild garden in a Field up the road that we acquired for our dogs, it will be a tough grass or the dogs will just churn it up.
09:44 Sun 06th Mar 2011

landscaper2
Best Answer
Having landscaped many new build projects, we have had to seed at any time of the year and it will generally germinate. However, seed sown at the 'correct time' will quite often overtake and be more successful than that sown out of season. Best times, April/May & Sept/Oct as you souldnt need to water. Summer sowing will show fantastic germination, but...
10:45 Sun 06th Mar 2011 Go To Best Answer

It's a bit early yet, Im itching to put some seed down as well, Aparently the temperature has to be in it's 60's to germinate, Roll on the warmer weather.
Wait until April
Having landscaped many new build projects, we have had to seed at any time of the year and it will generally germinate. However, seed sown at the 'correct time' will quite often overtake and be more successful than that sown out of season. Best times, April/May & Sept/Oct as you souldnt need to water. Summer sowing will show fantastic germination, but probably need constant watering.
Many thanks for replies, Im tempted to just start putting it down now and hope for the best, watering is not possible due to the fact that it is small feild and no water is at hand.
Here in the western U.S., we watch the weather forecast and try to sow grass just before a late snow storm... as early as now. Barring that we sow it early just before a rain. Sow it fairly heavily... should be noticeably thick on the ground.

Additionally, I "over sow" in late fall after leaves have been cleaned up but especially just before a snow storm... good results are evident in the Spring...