First Aid at Work

do you by law have to have an appointed first aider at work for staff? or at least someone with a first aid knowledge/certificate? Also what should be in your first aid kit for food retail using knives ovens and chemical cleaners?
19:06 Thu 12th May 2011

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by lourules. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

it doesnt say by law for staff - it says theres no law for first aid given to the public/customers
Employers’ legal duties

The Health and Safety (First-Aid) Regulations 1981 require employers to provide adequate and appropriate equipment, facilities and personnel to ensure their employees receive immediate attention if they are injured or taken ill at work. These Regulations apply to all workplaces including those with less than five employees and to the self-employed. Detailed information can be found in First aid at work. The Health and Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981. Approved Code of Practice and guidance.
Lots of blue food handlers sticking plasters not the flesh coloured ones for starters a log book, a first book or guide, some basic babdages, a bottle of stirle water for eye washing if you don't have an eye wash station.Detol type antiseptic, scissors, tape, gause, mouth to mouth guard, a couple of pairs of latex gloves. that should cover the basic's but st'john or red cross sell work place kits ready to go.

You should not have headache tablets,burn creams and the like as they consitutes treatment not first aid.
Also some kind of checklist of whats in the kit so when 1 is used you tick the sheet or you replace it straight away and you dont use a tick sheet
If you use anything in the kit ou need to fill in an accident form. I got caught out when I let someone have a plaster for a blister on their heel.