When times are hard many of us seek to improve our current homes rather than moving to a new one. Perhaps we need more room as the children get older. Or maybe an elderly relative has to move in for long term care. We spend quite a bit of time in our houses and so we want them to be as pleasant an environment as possible.
UK homeowners are well known for their love of DIY – but not all of them remember to factor in the cost of home insurance with the MDF flat packs.
Many standard home insurance policies will only cover the value of your home as it is – not as you visualise it before setting off on a serious remodelling project.
Lost, stolen or damaged materials will need to be replaced, and if you're intending to knock through an external wall, your home insurance company may not cover the security risk.
More seriously, a normal home insurance company will not cover personal liability if passersby or neighbours get hurt. And if you cause serious structural damage to your home it may not be covered for reconstruction.
Talking to your home insurance provider or broker should mean you are able to work out temporary cover for any work to be done.
For serious projects, document what you are doing and all your materials to give to your home insurance company in case you have to make a claim.
General questions to ask yourself before starting:
• Do you have the time, money and skills for the whole job? - This is probably the most important question.
• Do you have to live in the house while the work is being done? – It can be disagreeable in cold weather if half the roof is missing.
• What sort of margin for error do you have?
• Have you worked out which jobs are dependent on each other? – You cannot do painting until the plaster is dry for example.
• Do you have access to good professionals and other help?
If you’re looking for a fresh look for your home a quality range of door handles, door fixtures and door furniture can be found at Roy Allen Supplies.
If you would like to know more about DIY why not ask AnswerBank Home and Garden.