Kedgeree is one of the best breakfasts you could ever have; it is a rice dish full of haddock, a touch of curry powder and toped off with boiled eggs. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so surely you should have something delicious as well as healthy. The curry powder and spices make this a wonderful dish full of flavour.
Kedgeree is very satisfying, it will keep you going through to lunch but if it is a little too big for breakfast or if you're short on time in the morning, it makes a delicious dinner too.
- 700g smoked haddock
- 100g butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tsp mild curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 290g long grain rice
- 5 eggs
- Juice of half a lemon
- 3 heaped tbsp parsley
- 550ml water
- Boil the eggs for 6 minutes, leave to cool.
- Add 550ml water to a sauce pan, add the haddock and simmer gently, with the lid on, for 8 minutes. Remove haddock from pan and leave to cool, reserve the water to cook the rice in.
- In a large pan melt 2/3 of the butter and fry the onion on a low heat, until they are translucent. Stir in the curry powder, cumin and turmeric. Add the rice and stir to cover in curry powder, pour in the fish water, simmer and cover with a lid. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes until rice is tender and water has reduced.
- Peel the egg and cut in to wedges. When the haddock is cooled peel the skin of, remove the bones and break up the flesh.
- When the rice is cooked stir in the fish, 3 eggs and squeeze some lemon juice, to taste.
- Serve with the remaining wedges of egg on top and parsley to garnish.