Is eating alot of olives bad for you?

If someone ate 160g of Olives a day forever, would it be bad for their health and if so, why?
01:13 Thu 05th Feb 2009

natalie_1982
Best Answer
Do olives count towards the five portions of fruit and veg we should eat each day?
All types of fruit and vegetables, whether they are fresh, chilled, frozen, canned, bottled or dried, count towards our daily portions.

A portion is about 80 grams of fruit or vegetables - when you've removed all the bits you can't eat such as inedible peel or stones.

Olives...
21:00 Fri 06th Feb 2009 Go To Best Answer

I wondered the same when I was getting through 2 containers of Nandos olives per day. I can't say they affected me badly, except giving me a dodgy tummy and they are supposed to be good for the heart.
one of the most disgusting things you can eat.. ewwwwwwww!

I can't picture what 160g would look like, but an excess of anything in your diet isn't healthy.
Ahh, Velvetee - someone else who likes the Nando's olives - they are just the best ever -aren't they ??

But, seriously - yes they are good for you - in moderation, as they're also very fattening !!
Ah some very quick input indeed, I wasn't expecting much of a response thank you Ladies.

To sara3, I'm sorry you don't like Olives first of all, I love them.
The 160g is drained weight printed on a (now empty) Sainsburys Jar of pitted green olives, do you think we could class one jar a day as 'excess'? Using figures on this site, that 160g would make about two tbpsn's of Olive Oil, but how accurate and what kind of olive oil etc is beyond me, also maybe there are bad things in the pulp of the olive which do not get transferred to the oil.

And to the Olive lovers/bingers I salute you, I will have to try these Nando's ones if I can obtain some.
carry on with that olive eating plinth! i myself love pitted green olives stiffed with chilli,feta or anything else! olives are good for the heart,the skin etc.. and 160g aint that much seeing that olives are heavy anyway!
Wow a completley opposite view there thanks GYMRAT, I might just get some more tomorrow.

I noticed even in Sainsbury's there are some more interesting combinations and elaborate choices available so it must be worth experimenting and I love chilli & feta that sounds amazing. Thanks alot... I will probably wake up tomorrow dreaming of Olives lol, I love food dreams.
Personally, I am with Sara, I can't stand olives, and my hubby is half Greek! Everyon says it's an acquired taste, and every time I try to acquire it they still taste like they are rotten.

Anyhoo.... how many is 160g worth of olives? If it is around a handful then I would be equivalent to one of your five a day fruit and veg wouldn't it?

Olives are the fruit of the olive tree and contain fibre as well as some vitamins and minerals. However, because olives are quite small and weigh very little, you would need to eat about 30 olives to get a portion!

It's better to eat olives in small quantities because they are generally high in salt. And we should all avoid eating too much salt. This is because salt contains sodium, and having too much sodium can increase the risk of high blood pressure, which increases the risk of heart disease and stroke.

So olives can count towards a portion. For example, you could eat a few olives as part of a dessert-sized bowl of mixed salad - together this counts as one portion. Or if you eat them as part of a pizza topping with two to three tablespoonfuls of vegetables - such as mushrooms, peppers and tomatoes - this would count as a portion too.
That was from this website:
http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/asksam/healthydiet/f ruitandvegq/#A218501

You can have my share :-/
I buy then from an Italian in our local market - always get about �25 worth which last about 3 weeks - I don't know what the weight is.

Love them - if one of the tubs is open I cannot open the fridge door without having 1 or 2 or 3.

I love olives whether they are green, black or stuffed. But I would imagine that they are like most other foods regarding moderation.
i love olives no matter color they may be...but i suggest moderation like with everything else in life!!!
Watch out for your salt intake if you're eating olives stored in brine. A large quantity of these olives could put you well over the recommended daily salt limit.