Housing Benefit - Advice Please!!!

Hi everyone, I'm in a right mess and need your help please. After separating from my husband, my son (8) and I are in a rented flat. I am currently claiming ESA (definantly cant work as multiple health problems) and receiving Housing Benefit. However, benefits have done the usual and placed me in the work-related activity group, despite my problems. I REALLY cant do this, yes I can appeal about this decision (which I may do), but what I really need to know is can I still get housing & council tax benefit if I drop my ESA claim? The stress of all this makes me want to stop the claim and live poor rather than sit in front of an ESA advisor (who can obviously override my doctors advice/certificates, etc) telling me I can work! I just need to know if I have to be receiving ESA/JSA etc to be able to claim Housing Benefit or will they still pay it considering I would have very little income, just child maint & ben, and tax credits.

Many thanks for you time and help XXX
01:27 Fri 03rd Feb 2012

cathfromsaron
Best Answer
ditto above advice!

don't let them grind you down, take a friend and stick to your guns!

your GP knows you best, and a tribunal will go with him!

they do this to weed out the 'wrong 'uns' but THEY are thicker skinned!

cath x
10:32 Fri 03rd Feb 2012 Go To Best Answer

Your eligibility for Housing Benefit is determined solely by your level of income, not by the source(s) of that income:
http://www.direct.gov...ow_income/DG_10018926

Chris
Buenchico's advice is good.
I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to see an ESA adviser.
factor "The stress of all this makes me want to stop the claim"
ditto above advice!

cath x
Thanks, bednobs. I did read that but don't understand it. It's her choice of course but if she genuinely feels she is unfit for work, and her doctor supports this, then perhaps by going it will sort the matter out once and for all, and will ultimately reduce the worry
1. I'm not sure why you are thinking of stopping the ESA claim. If you are in the "work related activity group" it does not necessarily mean you are expected to look for work straight away. Rather, you can be expected to enter into actions which can lead to you being ready to find work at a later date. Meanwhile, you get about £93 per week ESA.

2. I suggest you appeal to try to get into the Support Group, but do not end your claim. Co-operate as much as you can. If you can't get into the Support Group you can decide then whether you can cope with continuing in the Work Related Group.

3. However, if you do end it you can go on getting Housing Benefit, although the Local Authority would need to be told what you are doing and you would need to let them know what you were living on. You should contact them as soon as you stop the ESA as otherwise they will be notified by DWP & will automatically stop your HB.

4. Your appeal will be dealt with by a Tribunal - not by an ESA advisor. It will be a good thing for you to attend the appeal hearing yourself to give them evidence and answer questions, in addition to making sure they have all the medical evidence from your GP, specialist etc.
Factor30: I know its hard to understand with the info I have given, but please see my 'questions answered: Attempted Rape & GBH' to give an idea of what has happend to me. I AM GENUINELY unfit for work, mentally and physically because of the attack (I nearly died) and with that, I have MS/mobility probs, and need surgery every few months for another problem. My son was greatly affected by what happend, still only sleeps 2-3 hrs a night, amd wont go outdoors. As with regards to the ESA claim, I'm just so fed up of going over the event again and again to get a bit of financial help. Thanks to everyone who gave advice XXX
check out entitledto.com.
Hi check out entitledto.com. great site and will tell you exactly what you can get bases on earnings.
Have you tried DLA