How long did the dinosaurs rule for?

Not sure if this is the right area, but how long did the dinosaurs rule the earth for? I have heard today that they lived for a total of 140 million years, but this is not what I was once told. I saw on a timescale of the Earth that they appeared about 250 million years ago, and were wiped out 65 million years ago, by a comet. This would make their reign 185 million years long. Does anyone know which is the correct figure, or shall we just go back in time and see for ourselves?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
17:11 Mon 24th Jan 2011

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by JonnyBoy12. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

I'm not convinced they ever did rule the Earth.
and how do we know they ruled anything? there could hae been other beings in charge
65 million years AGO is when they were wiped out; they definitely lived for longer than that. Recent research has shown they became extinct because they did not log onto AB, and ask the important question "How can we all avoid being wiped out by a giant meteorite"?. So now you know!
''How long did the dinosaurs rule for?''

Just over two hours... according to Jurassic Park ;-p

Off the web: Dinosaurs ruled the Earth for 160 million years before disappearing 65 million years ago.
Ask The Rolling Stones...Sure they were around then :-)
Dinosaurs evolved about 250mill years. Most species died about 65 million years ago but they haven't all died out yet. The only (two species) remaining truely unchanged dinosaur is the Tuatara in NZ.

http://www.tuataratrust.co.nz/facts.htm
They evolved into birds according to some..experts ... but didn't according to others