pollution control valve

Avatar Image
cockneyexile | 00:00 Sun 20th Feb 2005 | Travel
3 Answers
when driving on the m25 i have noticed signs for pollution control valve on the side of the hard shoulder (permanent signs not temporary) what is this and what is it used for ? i know obviously pollution this entrigues me as i have not seen these signs on any other motorway except  the m25


1 to 3 of 3rss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by cockneyexile. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
These are mainly on the south side of the M25, but they are in a few other places as well. By  the motorway, usually when you are on an embankment, there is a larger than normal ditch  called  a balancing tank (although it is just a big ditch). These 'tanks' are used to regulate drainage run off during rain, as the water course the rain drains into may not be able to take all the water at once, so it prevents local flooding. As a consequence of this, if an accident happened on the motorway, say with a petrol tanker or just a ruptured fuel tank, the liquid will find its way into the water course via the balancing tank. By putting a penstock (which is just a flash word for a big valve) on the exit of the tank, you can use the tank to hold the pollutant until it can be safely tankered away. This system is used on newer and recently re built roads. On old roads, the council just chuck a load of sandbags in the ditch to dam it up and hope the ditch will be big enough to hold all the polutant.
Question Author
to sddsddean cheers for taking the time to post a reply i find your answer very well researched thanks once again. ricky 
No probs Ricky. I was a Civil Engineer for 10 years, so used to build roads. Now like you, I'm trucking round them.

1 to 3 of 3rss feed

Do you know the answer?

pollution control valve

Answer Question >>

Related Questions

Sorry, we can't find any related questions. Try using the search bar at the top of the page to search for some keywords, or choose a topic and submit your own question.