New Keyboard Quirks

Avatar Image
AndiFlatland | 17:33 Mon 16th Sep 2019 | Technology
7 Answers
I recently bought a new keyboard, in the forlorn hope that it may a difference to my slow computer (the old kybd was always getting keys stuck and missing presses) - didn't make any difference.

But the new item is very nice, with coloured backlighting and non-sticky keys. However, it has some quirks which I don't understand (there was no user manual, just wrapped in a polythene bag and mailed in an Amazon box).

(1) The '4' key has two cash signs - one for the dollar, one for the Euro - how does one go from one to the other?

(2) At the left-hand end of the numbers row of keys is a key which has three strange symbols - a horizontal line with a downward vertical line on its right hand end; below that there is what looks like a small apostrophe, but going the wrong way; and on the right side, there is a vertical line. What are these symbols, how are they used and, as with the last question, how does one get from one to the other with only two 'shift' options?

(3) Two of the keys have reversed characters: the '?' and the '/', and the '~' and the '#' are in the wrong positions - and so I keep hitting the one when I want the other. Is there a setting in the computer which will allow the symbols to be used correctly, as on most other keyboards?

(4) On the top right corner of the keyboard, there are the usual three illuminated buttons which are for numerals lock, caps lock and scroll lock. But there is a fourth button which I cannot figure out the purpose of: it is an upright oblong with a semi-circular protrusion from the top, and it seems to relate to nothing else on the keyset, apart from a similarly-shaped padlock symbol on the F11 key (but doesn't seem to have any connection to that key being pressed). What is this for?

Many thanks.


1 to 7 of 7rss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by AndiFlatland. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
shift and 4 gives you the $.
ctrl and alt and 4 gives the euro sign.
Q2, the same functions apply as to q1, using the shift key and then the ctrl and alt keys together.
Answers numbered as per your questions:

(1) I'm not sure why Angie is using the Ctrl key. If you've got an 'alternative graphic' (such as €) on a key, the usual way of typing it (unsurprisingly) is to press the relevant key together with 'Alt Gr'. That's exactly what that key's for!

(2) The 'Alt Gr' is used again.

(3) You've probably purchased an International QWERTY keyboard (or a variant of it), rather than a UK keyboard, and/or you've not got Windows set up to use UK English. You've not told us which version of Windows your computer is running. For Windows 7 or earlier, see here:
For Windows 10, see here:

(4) The key at the top left of your keyboard had a use in the days when you needed to write your own programs to get a computer to do anything. Theses days (apart possibly for use by a few coders) it's redundant. ' ¬ ', for example, is a 'logical negation' (or 'not', for short) symbol, which not many people need to use!
Somewhere on the keyboard there a number of points of contact that themselves are attached with the main problem that usually sits on a seat gawping at a screen. Most keyboard problems emanate from these aforementioned contact points. A sturdy correction programme coupled with a minimum of training can sometimes alleviate the problem.
I still don't understand the point of No 2. I've never noticed that key before and it gives these:
Whose purpose is what? When would I use those symbols (to the point they have a dedicated key?
Oh, I see it's mainly answered by Buenchico against No 4.
Chico, it’s called keyboard skills. We all do things in a different way. For many of these things there isn’t a right way.

1 to 7 of 7rss feed

Do you know the answer?

New Keyboard Quirks

Answer Question >>

Related Questions

Sorry, we can't find any related questions. Try using the search bar at the top of the page to search for some keywords, or choose a topic and submit your own question.