Tape Playback

willyboy | 00:09 Mon 14th May 2007 | Electronics
Another question from me on a different subject.
First of all picture a view of a road, in full sunlight, where you can see that ghostly shimmering of rising heat.
Right, when l record a program to tape (brand new) and play it back, why does it have this shimmering effect to it?
The picture itself is fine, but it makes you feel as if you've had one too many!
Nothing in the manuals troubleshooting section.
Any ideas as to the cause?

Answers

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by willyboy. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

Can you give more details please?
Is the VCR new or have you had it a while and it's just started to do this?
You say the picture is fine but it suffers from a shimmering effect?
Does the picture through the VCR look ok?
Have you tried a number of different tapes, is the effect still there?
Have you tried a known good tape such as a prerecorded one in the machine and does this also suffer the same effect?
Thanks for the reply Pug100.
It's a Philips DVDR3430V recordable dvd with integrated vcr player which was purchased new, here in France, last January. Apart from connecting it up, l didn't try all the features out to start with as l had to come back to England.
Anyway, the connection is Sky box to dvd/vcr to tv. and the picture is crystal clear. Copying to dvd and using pre- recorded tapes is fine. (I must admit l haven't tried a pre-recorded tape to dvd yet or vice versa!). The only problem at the moments is as stated before, when l record from tv to tape. I thought about tape brands so have also tried Maxell (brand new) but the same thing happens.
As the overall picture is fine it is pointing me towards something wrong with the recording heads, but overall l'm overall. Hope you can give me any ideas. Thanks
PS I've written to Philips twice and have they replied? Have they hell!
You probably won't be able to copy pre recorded tapes i.e. Disney tapes onto dvd due to the Macrovision anti copying signal on the tape. You'll end up witn a blue screen and a wasted dvd.
That's interesting, didn't know about protection on tapes!
DVD disks no problem as they're r/w.
Main problem is the reproduction when taping tv programs from the sky box.
As the machine is still quite new, I'd take it back to the shop and explain the problem you're having. They may exchange it for another unit for you.
Thanks pug100. Am giving Philips one last shot but will probably end up doing what you suggest.
Thanks for replying.
Regards

Tape Playback