Gravestone Inscription

Avatar Image
lizzydrippin | 17:04 Wed 15th Apr 2009 | Society & Culture
10 Answers
Wasn't really sure where to put this question and thought this might be as good as anywhere.
A friend of mine died last year and went into his late wife's grave (where he had a reserved place). I'd like to have his name and a few other nice words inscribed on the gravestone but how do I go about it. He has no family at all and there wasn't the money to do it at the time of his burial (also the stone has to wait a certain length of time before it is re-erected). I have the money needed to do the inscription now but havent a clue how to go about it. I have tried googling for gravestone inscribers but nothing came up for just the inscription, only for the whole cobosh, funeral, headstone etc etc. Any suggestions would be helpful. cheers.


1 to 10 of 10rss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by lizzydrippin. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
I would think a funeral director would answer your questions or at least point you to the right person.

Or ask the vicar (or whatever denomination) where they are buried about it.
There's a few here that might be suitable :- taphs.html

I googled "gravestone epitaphs" rather than use the word "incsriptions".
-- answer removed --
Contact the relevant Cemetaries & Crematorium office at the local council. They will be able to tell you the name of the firm who supplied the headstone for that grave. All you have to do then is contact the firm and ask them to carry out your orders.
Ahhh, sorry lizzy, I totally mis-read your question. I thought you were asking about the poem thingys that are on gravestones, not how you actually go about getting one put on.

Again, sorry.
I think you actually have to be the owner of the plot to do this though, you need to check that side of it too, again, a funeral director will have all the contacts and info/
The people who carry out such work come under the heading of ''monumental sculptors''. A search on Google should provide links to any in your area. But you'd better check with the local council as Mrs O says.
Lizzy I cannot expand on whats been said already, but your friend was very lucky to have a friend like you.

I wish you the very best.

Question Author
Thanks everyone for your really helpful answers and what a difference a few words can make, the difference between 'gravestone inscriptions' and 'monumental sculptors' was amazing! I got all the information I needed using the latter.
Thanks again to everyone.

1 to 10 of 10rss feed

Do you know the answer?

Gravestone Inscription

Answer Question >>

Related Questions