Is The Winter Associated With Depression?

spathiphyllum | 17:58 Tue 13th Mar 2018 | Society & Culture
I am very happy it's finally light when i go, and get back from work. It makes me more happy in general. And this makes me question... Is the winter associated with depression?

I feel very dull when it's dark and raining in the winter evenings. I also don't have time to do anything in the evening (in the daylight) because of work. So.. do you think the lack of sunlight, and the worsened weather makes people a bit depressed during the winter?

Answers

>>> does the summer stimulate serotonin? Quote: "Researchers found that regardless of the season, the turnover of serotonin in the brain was affected by the amount of sunlight on any given day. And the levels of serotonin were higher on bright days than on overcast or cloudy ones. In fact, the rate of serotonin production in the brain was directly related to...
18:40 Tue 13th Mar 2018
Have you heard of S.A.D?
Yes, it's a known thing. Seasonal Affective Disorder.
I love winter myself, but it can make some people depressed. You can buy a lamp with the right wavelengths of light to help.
Yes. It's called Seasonal Affective Disorder, or S.A.D., because of the lack of natural light.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder

In my case, it's trying to cycle to work through the Snow, a fortnight ago.

Very interesting, on the flip side, does the summer stimulate serotonin?
>>> does the summer stimulate serotonin?

Quote:
"Researchers found that regardless of the season, the turnover of serotonin in the brain was affected by the amount of sunlight on any given day. And the levels of serotonin were higher on bright days than on overcast or cloudy ones. In fact, the rate of serotonin production in the brain was directly related to the duration of bright sunlight"

Source:
https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20021205/unraveling-suns-role-in-depression

Returning to the winter months though, although the official NHS advice is generally that (for people with a healthy diet) vitamin supplements are worthless, they make an exception for Vitamin D. The official advice is that everyone should consider taking Vitamin D supplements throughout the winter months:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-and-minerals/vitamin-d/
(Although that link refers to bone health, there's also quite a bit of evidence that a lack of Vitamin D is linked to depression)
I use sunbeds which top up up my vit d, serotonin and improves my mood as well. As giving me a beautiful tan.

https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/sunbeds-and-uv-exposure-can-they-elevate-mood/

Definite S.a.d. Disorder by low serotonin levels but also depression can be caused by low Vitamin B 12...maybe a top up of both will help...
I’m happy in myself, but noticed i’m happier in the sun, i’m not depressed, just curious :)
Am I the only person who feels slightly gloomy at the sight of a clear sky?
I love the sun when I'm on holiday, but at home, whatever the season, I look out of the window and think 'Oh, it's a horrible nice day. Grrr.'
I like the sunshine but I don’t mind winter in this country which often brings some lovely bright, fresh days. However, having spent some time in the northern climes of Scandinavia during winter I found the very short daylight hours and the frequent gloom that was often all the ‘daylight’ I saw really quite depressing. I’d hate to live somewhere like that.
I've had a couple of holidays in Norway and Sweden. I love that everyone is going around doing their shopping or whatever at 2 pm in the pitch dark.
It's cold and dark, seems inevitanle that there would be a downward "pressure" on ones spirits when one recalls brighter days. Unsure if it can be related to medical depression rather then simply feeling a bit down, though.
INEVITABLE !!!!!!!