smell at 10,000ft?

gordyagusta | 17:42 Wed 17th Sep 2008 | Science
Hi, I just did my first ever tandem parachute jump at the weekend... fantastic experience, but when i left the aeroplane to begin freefall at 10,000 feet there was a distinct smell in the air, I could smell it until we reached about 6,000 feet, its a sort of chemical/synthetic smell so much so that its one of the things that keeps coming back to me about the jump..... any one explain? Serious question, no silly answers please...

Answers

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by gordyagusta. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

What I've noticed in years as a commercial pilot is that those who fly hot air balloons can ascend, drifitng with the prevailing wind and then, with an increase or decrease of only a few hundred feet go entirely in a different direction. In other words, there are rivers or streams of air moving as winds rather than the misconception of the entire body of air moving as wind. I suspect that you entered one of these and the odor was probably from a manufacturing facility of some sort that may have been miles away.... That's the serious answer... however, if it happened immediately on exiting the aircraft, I would have seriously considered checking my underwear on landing... (sorry).
"I would have seriously considered checking my underwear on landing..."
I remember my first jump, and the examiner wrote on my log book: "Flat position, legs kicking, no audible count". I said of course my legs were kicking, I was trying to get back in the plane!

smell at 10,000ft?