marquee signing

Avatar Image
eddiek | 00:07 Sun 03rd Jul 2011 | Phrases & Sayings
5 Answers
the above phrase seems to be popular for football club signings but I fail to see the connection with the original meaning Can anyone explain ?


1 to 5 of 5rss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by eddiek. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
I'm guessing that it comes from American English. Our transatlantic cousins use 'marquee' to mean "canopy over entrance to large building". (That's taken directly from the Concise Oxford Dictionary).

A 'theater marquee' (to use a US spelling) is where the name of the star performer is displayed, as here:
So a 'marquee player' is one who, if he were an actor, would have his name on the marquee.

Well, it's as credible as anything else that I can think of!

that's also what I would have said.

Indeed, the US term 'marquee' is intended to convey a banner which draws attention and is also used in web design for scrolling text; an attention grabbing feature no longer permitted on AnswerBank but still present in threads from yesteryear...

ABerrant, a user late one Saturday night a few years back showed people how to do this, on provision of their membership number (or something of the sort); it looked suspiciously like a scam - numerous users had to get themselves new logins afterwards - and the Ed removed the facility for good.
When HTML tags were given free rein on this site all AB-users could implement the Marquee tag to produce the scrolling effect, however it is now the preserve of the AB Editors, either within their own posts...


...or to activate the failed attempts of others...


1 to 5 of 5rss feed

Do you know the answer?

marquee signing

Answer Question >>

Related Questions

Sorry, we can't find any related questions. Try using the search bar at the top of the page to search for some keywords, or choose a topic and submit your own question.