Mot Query

Avatar Image
malagabob | 03:37 Fri 14th Feb 2020 | Motoring
4 Answers
Can you MOT a car well before the “ one month before “ as it is now.
I understand if it fails, I can’t rely on the old previous MOT valid to date. Just a thought. Can it be done. Is there any legal issue stopping me.


1 to 4 of 4rss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by malagabob. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
I was told that you can have a new MOT certificate issued no longer than 28 days prior to the expiration of the existing one. It would then be dated from the existing expired date when that fell due. In effect a thirteen month certificate.
You can MoT a car whenever you like; if the test is more than one month before the expiry date then the new MoT will only last 12 months from the new test date.
Bug is correct. People often MOT their cars well before the due date as it is easier to sell with a 12 month MOT
Bhg481 is, indeed, correct. You can have your car MOT'd every day if you're mad enough to do so (or, indeed, several times every day if you're even madder than that). However you only get a '12 month' MOT certificate if you put your car in for the test with more than a month left on its existing certificate (rathe than the '12-and-a-bit' months you can get when there's less than a month left on it).

>>> "I understand if it fails, I can’t rely on the old previous MOT valid to date".

It's important to understand that there are two entirely separate offences that are relevant here:
(i) using a vehicle on a public road without a valid MOT cerficate ; and
(ii) using an unroadworthy vehicle.

If you put a vehicle in for its MOT test early, and it fails the test, the old MOT certificate remains VALID and you CAN'T be convicted for not having a valid certificate (even if it's got four bald tyres, smoke pouring out of the exhaust and bits hanging off it).

If the test failure was due to the vehicle being unroadworthy (and you continue to drive the vehicle) you CAN be successfully prosecuted for driving an unroadworthy vehicle but that would have applied anyway, even if you'd not put the vehicle in for a test.

If the test failure is for something not related to the roadworthiness of the vehicle (e.g. because the steering lock doesn't engage when you remove the keys from the ignition) then you can continue to drive the vehicle (using its old MOT certificate) without fear of prosecution.

1 to 4 of 4rss feed

Do you know the answer?

Mot Query

Answer Question >>