The Father

eleanor2 | 19:47 Sun 13th Jun 2021 | Film
Has anyone been to see this yet? Anthony Hopkins & Olivia Coleman. Fantastic acting by both, Hopkins winning best lead actor. It's a dark film about dementia, flicks back and forth with the character Anthony's thoughts. Needs a couple of watches to 'get' it , but a beautiful realistic film on all levels from the humour to the sadness of the disease.

Answers

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by eleanor2. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

Brilliant film, my dad has severe dementia and its him down to a T
Did you see it at the cinema Eleanor or is it on Netflix or something?
One to watch, I think..
Love both actors.
Barsel:
According to Google, the movie is currently showing in selected northern cinemas (mainly around West Yorkshire) but it's also available via Amazon Prime Video:
https://www.amazon.com/Father-Anthony-Hopkins/dp/B08Z8BMXD3
Thanks Chris.
Sorry Barsel i'd gone to bed. As Buen has said x
webbo, it's a complex illness, very sad x
Patsy, both are brilliant a fire aren't they.
Thanks Buen!
*aren't they*
not available on prime video in this country
I won't watch it. Too upsetting.
I have a streaming service that allows me to watch films before they are released in this country. 'The Father' and 'Nobody' are two films i have watched recently. The Father is adapted from the stage play and you can see that in it's production. All the action (for want of a better word) takes place in about 3 different rooms. This coupled with the subject matter makes for a rather depressing but informative film. Brilliant portrayals from Hopkins and Colman and the script is sharp. I wouldn't recommend anyone actually paying money to see it, though.
Going to see this at my local cinema on Thursday. It certainly gets very good write-ups.
What did you think of the film maggie?

The Father