Avatar Image
bednobs | 10:49 Thu 17th Jun 2021 | Law
9 Answers
Hi i made an LPA about 10 years ago via a solicitor. Although the solicitor signed as the certificate provider, the LPA was never registered. It has now become necessary to register it. However, i have got it out of the cupboard and realised that almost everyone named has a different address now (including me) plus in a kind of dog ate my homework scenario, one of the dogs has slightly nibbled it!
is there any way of now registering that LPA, or will i have to satrt again (including paying someone to be the certificate provider again?)


1 to 9 of 9rss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by bednobs. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
Is it an LPA (more recent) or an EPA? An EPA only needs to be registered when the donor starts to lose mental capacity.

In your case with so many changes I would start afresh.
EPA was replaced by LPA in 2007
Question Author
yes, its definitely an LPA
it was done in 2008 (so slighty longer ago than my 10 year estimate!)
I am having no luck creating an LPA account online - it's very frustrating!
If it was me, I'd start again but without the (totally unnecessary) services of a solicitor. Where do things go wrong for you with the account creation process?

If you can't get the online process working for you though, you can always download the documents and print them out. (You end up having to print out the document you created anyway if you use the online method, so there's not really any difference):

Question Author
thanks chris - the issue was sorted by chelle here
i am going to start again, but dont you need to pay someone to be the certificate giver?
Question Author
so from reading govt advice, you could ask a friend to be the certificate giver?
"To properly vouch for a lasting power of attorney, the certificate provider must be over 18 and either:

Someone who has known you well for at least two years — a friend, a colleague, neighbour, or even someone you used to work with.

Someone with the professional ability to check your mental capacity — like a doctor (e.g. your GP), registered social worker, or solicitor."

[NB: See that link to read about who CAN'T be a certificate provider, so that you don't get things wrong].

So there are plenty of people who can perform the task for free (or perhaps, it's a helpful neighbour, say, in return for a bottle of wine). There's definitely no need to pay anyone.
Question Author
do they have to be both those things?
Question Author
sorry just read "either"!

1 to 9 of 9rss feed

Do you know the answer?


Answer Question >>