Employment contract issues

Avatar Image
Mattymango | 18:25 Mon 11th Oct 2010 | Civil
2 Answers
I was employed under contract for a period of about 11 months - I was underpaid for a large part of this contract. (weekly pay)

I raised the issue several times with the General Manager, who insisted me that it would be sorted. After ceasing to work there I decided to pursue the matter through the payroll company and head office.

I have now been informed that as I 'waited' over a year to formally complain that the company believes this forms an implied contract whereby I am not entitled to any money - though have offered me a sum as a 'gesture of goodwill'

I have signed a contract stating that I agreed to my original wage, and read and understood an employee handbook (never saw one)
Does this constitute an implied contract, and would such an implied contract trump a signed contract in this case?


1 to 2 of 2rss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by Mattymango. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
If you are saying that you have a piece of paper saying you would be paid x for doing y (aka a letter that confirms your salary) then just write to the company one last time enclosing a copy of the evidence and give them a couple of weeks to sort it.
This is not an implied term issue - an implied term is when there is nothing written down but the actions over a length of time make it such that it forms part of your contract.
Do as BM says. Also ring ACAS for advice. You probably have a right to go to an Employment Tribunal for unpaid wages.

I think what the company are saying is rubbish.

1 to 2 of 2rss feed

Do you know the answer?

Employment contract issues

Answer Question >>