How does DSS housing/Income support work?

Avatar Image
rosesformoi | 19:27 Tue 24th Mar 2009 | Jobs & Education
1 Answers
Say for instance: You are jobless, living with family and signing on, but you want to move out.

What's the process, how does it work? Do you still get the same amount of job seekers allowance as you were getting before you decided to find your own place or do they lower it to pay your rent?


Only 1 answerrss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by rosesformoi. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
There are two types of Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA), one is based on National Insurance (NI) contributions and is called JSA(CB) - the CB being Contributions Based- and the other is based on income, JSA(IB).

If you get the JSA(IB) you will qualify for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit automatically and the JSA will not be altered. If you get JSA(CB) you will need to apply to the local council for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit. Either way you will need to tell the Jobcentre you have moved and they can let you know what you have to do from there.

Only 1 answerrss feed

Do you know the answer?

How does DSS housing/Income support work?

Answer Question >>

Related Questions

Sorry, we can't find any related questions. Try using the search bar at the top of the page to search for some keywords, or choose a topic and submit your own question.