Seeing Infrared? Then You Need A Heat Pump!

Avatar Image
gl556tr | 12:30 Sat 28th Aug 2021 | How it Works
4 Answers
The magic machine for cosy buildings.

But, apart from this 'reverse fridge', one needs to address the thermal value of, say, your humble home. Giving your home an [environment-friendly] wrapping is a qualification for such an installation. Also, ideally, under-floor heating, as the large surface-area facilitates the heat pump delivering water at lower temperatures as that for radiators.
Building a house? Then you're on to a winner. In principle!

Another important issue is the source of the heat for the pump. Three are possible. I F F you are lucky.
1) outside air = cold in Winter, pump will have to work hard, gobbling up kWatts;
2) ground = warm, less kWatts;
3) ground water = warmer, best option.

Do you concur to this appraisal ? What alternatives are available?
One thing is certain: 'twill be costly.

(What is the technical term for a building's thermal value? Coefficient of ...)


1 to 4 of 4rss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by gl556tr. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
The rate of heat loss from the inside of a building to the outside, through a particular element such as a window, wall or roof, is called the U-value of that element. It is measured in Watts per square metre (of window, wall etc) per degree Kelvin difference between inside and outside temperatures.
By calculating for all the elements, the overall total heat loss in Watts can be determined, so that you would then know how much heat you need to inject to maintain a reasonable inside temperature.
I should add that in addition to heat loss through physical elements, there is the need to replace the air in the building so that the inhabitants don't suffocate. The incoming air to replace the warm inside air needs to be heated and the required number of Watts can be calculated and added to the previously calvculated sum.
I'm not aware of an overall coefficient for the whole house.
Question Author
Thank you for the technical blurb, Athiest.
For which term does the U represent?

Presumably, a heat-exchanger would fit the need for swapping stale air for fresh.
Once you calculate the watts required to heat the house to your desired temperature, you simply need to choose a system which can provide that power. The heat pump won't actually provide you with ventilation, but it would need to be capable of heating the incoming air, so it will need to provide enough watts to balance the heat loss through building fabric plus the watts required to cope with the air-change rate load.
Question Author
Indeed, one machine is essential: the heat-pump to warm the air in a building.

But, we need fresh air. So, open windows on opposite sides of the house for a thorough ventilation.
But, in Winter, we also lose warm air. Enter another machine: the air-exchanger (*NOT heat-exchanger*) which gives the warmth from the stale air being extracted to the cooler air being drawn in to the house. There are such exchangers which perform according to levels of CO2 and humidity within.

So, the heat-pump provides the required temperature whilst the air-exchanger makes the fine temperature adjustments whilst ensuring O2-supply.

This is assuming a building that is well-insulated.

1 to 4 of 4rss feed

Do you know the answer?

Seeing Infrared? Then You Need A Heat Pump!

Answer Question >>

Related Questions

Sorry, we can't find any related questions. Try using the search bar at the top of the page to search for some keywords, or choose a topic and submit your own question.