Avatar Image
KARL | 13:33 Mon 27th May 2019 | How it Works
10 Answers
I am being asked for a particular official statement (note Official, not just from some "impressive address" office somewhere). In many European countries there is a fully connected system which permits one and the authorities to (usually) centrally register everything in life and then use in reverse to prove identity, residence, ownership of property and vehicles, debt status, judgements incurred, fines, etc., etc. The UK is of course nowhere near that organised but is there any UK equivalent where you can obtain an official statement to say you have/have not fallen foul of the law and if so when and how, that you still have or have not a case to answer, etc. ? Or is this, like so much else, in the private sector for "trusted actors" to make money from, mismanage, etc., or is it perhaps completely impossible like with formal proof of official home address (no such thing as official home address in the UK, a required procedure elsewhere - a utility bill is the comedy version) ?


1 to 10 of 10rss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by KARL. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
I don't think so, though others may know of some. Until about WW2, it was considered disgraceful for the state to keep tabs on private citizens in this way; ID cards were issued during the war but discontinued afterwards. However, Brits seem to have developed a taste for being spied on, delighting in having CCTVs everywhere and welcoming each new security restriction as a triumph in the fight against terrorism and crime generally. So I would expect the creation of a central registry in the next decade or two. I would also expect it, on the basis of previous attampts at centralising records, to be hoplessly bungled and easily hacked.
What 'official statement' are you being asked for? That might help.
well if its about law then a DBS check?
Individuals can't ask for a DBS check unless they are under the umbrella of an organisation or employer.
//// ID cards were issued during the war ////

I've still got mine.
237sj, that is also the link to the service where you can request your police record.
Question Author
Thank you Woofgang, that is probably the nearest equivalent to what I am being asked for. jno, I know what you mean but whenever I have to do something that involves formal documentation, applications of all sorts, verifications, and so much besides, I am reminded (and feel envious) of how much easier pretty much all of these things are in other countries.
Question Author
Just a P.S., as if to confirm my sentiments in the OP, it turns out the Government's verification of home address is not from/by its own records but by employing a private company/contractor. I must remember to tell people abroad about this the next time I try to explain how shambolic UK processes are
>>> Individuals can't ask for a DBS check unless they are under the umbrella of an organisation or employer.

That ceased to be true when 'basic' DBS checks were introduced in England and Wales at the start of last year. (They'd been available in Scotland for many years before then). Anyone is now able to apply online for the results of such a check on themself. Similarly, any employer can now require a DBS check on applicants, irrespective of the type of work the job involves. (Previously only checks could only be carried out on applicants applying for roles which were exempted from the provisions of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act). However 'basic' checks only show convictions which aren't spent. (So it doesn't prove that you've not fallen foul of the law at an earlier time).

If you need a document which shows all your convictions, or the total absence of any such convictions, you can make a subject access request to your local police force. (The police are entitled to charge you a tenner for the service). That will show all of the information the police hold about you (possibly other than intelligence relating to current investigations), including all of your criminal convictions (or their absence). Employers are not permitted to demand that job applicants present them with the results of a police subject access request, as to do so would effectively be getting an applicant to reveal any spent convictions.

You can also obtain a copy of the information held about you on the Police National Computer, free of charge:
(Again, employers can't demand that you present them with a copy of such information)

If you need a copy of your police record for visa purposes then a police subject access request or a copy of your PNC data won't be sufficient. You'll need a Police Certificate, which costs £45:
Question Author
Thank you Chris, your suggestion is pretty much exactly what is required, but what a process. Oh for foreign style accessibility...........

1 to 10 of 10rss feed

Do you know the answer?


Answer Question >>