Legal question on neighbours building work

Avatar Image
UglyFace | 12:19 Thu 02nd Sep 2004 | Home & Garden
2 Answers
I live in a terraced house and my neighbour has carried out extensive work on his property (such as a loft conversion) which is to a very poor standard and contravenes building regulations. It's a total eye-sore and I believe this sub-standard work is affecting the value and saleability of my house - what can I do?


1 to 2 of 2rss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by UglyFace. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
Well if the job is really that bad your neibour could even be subject to criminal proceedings:


I suppose you first point of call should be the planning department of your local council. They should be able to send an inspector to check out the job...something I believe should be done for all loft conversions anyway.
This is serious, more so because it is terraced. Structurally it might not affect your property, however, it will be a different matter from a fire safety point of view. From what you have said it sounds like he has done the work himself or used cowboys. The Local Authority Building Control officer should be your first point of contact along with the Planning officer if any alterations are visible from outside,even to the rear. Your,or your famlies lives may some day depend on it.

1 to 2 of 2rss feed

Do you know the answer?

Legal question on neighbours building work

Answer Question >>

Related Questions

Sorry, we can't find any related questions. Try using the search bar at the top of the page to search for some keywords, or choose a topic and submit your own question.